Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Just So You Know...

I don't think I saw Fr. Z mention this story yet, though many of you have probably heard. It seems, more and more, that crowd is trying to ignore these stories or dismiss them as "sensationalist" mudslinging, just to avoid having this conversation. But it looks like another superstar "fallen priest" (lol, I don't actually use that term, but I saw Jimmy Akin use it to describe Fr. Cutie and had to think, "'Fallen priest'? Really?! What is this, The Scarlet Letter ?") A sad situation all around.

3 comments:

Robert said...

This guy is also from Miami. It might be something in the water there, like all the near-naked women.

sortacatholic said...

How many priests around the world have mistresses? I have been told that in many African societies a Catholic priest who does _not_ take a common-law wife will not gain the respect of the community. The same is true for many places in South America.

I don't know if it's residual puritanism or prurient behavior, but for some reason North American Catholics get all bent out of shape when a priest has a mister or a mistress. Why care? If it's adult and consensual, ain't my business.

Optional clerical celibacy now! Must the laity storm piazza San Pietro to get the message across?

A Sinner said...

Yup. Every time another one of these cases come out, the clearer it becomes that celibacy should be optional for diocesan priests. Which is why I think Fr Z and Co. are just starting to ignore even commenting on the stories...