Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Dalai Lama...

...was recently a guest on the Today show.

Why is he willing to engage the public through the media like this, when it would be unthinkable (currently) for the Pope to give such an interview?

Perhaps it's one reason why the Dalai Lama is popular with hip young people and the Pope is not?

I mean, even the President went on Jay Leno (where he made his infamous "Special Olympics" gaff)...

Yet the Pope (like some neutered figure-head monarch) thinks that to maintain his "gravitas" and "dignity" he cannot engage in such things? What arrogance!

If I were Pope, the first thing I'd do is sit down for my interview with Barbara Walters.

One finds it hard to feel a personal connection to figures like this these days if they don't submit to such things; it makes them seem aloof and out of touch and like they're hiding something.

5 comments:

ZuluFan said...

Dalai Lama (and Buddhism in general) is over-hyped (by hippy white pepole). I should write a blog post about this.

A Sinner said...

Well, I'll admit, I've read some of his positions and they aren't terribly coherent, even as regards the mechanism of his own reincarnation...

Tony said...

Were the pope to go on Barbara Walters he'd be shot.

A Sinner said...

lol, by whom?

Tony said...

Rosie O'Donnell?